The Fondation du Dr Julien (FDJ) has the mission to enable each child to develop his full potential, in compliance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child. It ensures the development of social pediatric community for the welfare of as many children as possible.
Through its social paediatrics model community, the Fondation du Dr. Julien aims to influence ways of doing and to intervene with vulnerable children in Quebec, and to help institutions to achieves the same goals.
These vulnerable children represent about 30% of the children in the province of Quebec. In addition to ensure the sound management of funds, it collects to support its activities, the Fondation du Dr Julien is the head of :
- The two first Social Pediatrics Centers in Canada;
- Teaching social pediatric community through a countinious training, academic and promotional activities;
- The center of research and development of social paediatrics model community (Alliance Health Law).
Specifically, the Fondation du Dr Julien :
- Is developing new social pediatrics projects in different communities;
- Shape and teaches social pediatric community approach;
- Promotes the social pediatrics approach community to teachers, psychologists, doctors, social workers, psychoeducators, lawyers, judges, police officers and other professionals;
- Sensitize governments to the preventive effects of this approach and its excellent cost / benefit to the society;
- Supports the movement of social pediatrics and community centers in other regions of Quebec.
- In his actions, ways and decisions, the Fondation du Dr. Julien fully endorses the values with the social pediatrics teams in community, accompanying children in need and support them, and their families.
The values that drive us are:
- To respect people, their rights, their strengths and their integrity;
- To respect the environment and its characteristics;
- To believe that the community is the place of belonging and child anchor;
- To commit to support and accompany the children and their families by mobilizing the forces;
- To be open and flexible;
- To recognize that children, their family networks and communities are carriers of transformation;
- To have an entrepreneurial spirit and team leading to actions directed towards tangible results.
Message from Dr. Anne Marie Office: physician and clinical director of the Social Pediatrics Center
Our mission: Healthier children that are heard, a happiness that we like to share!
Clinical rigor which we update every day is a concern for every member of our team. Wishing to address the determinants of health and protect the rights of the child, we are on the lookout for scientific advances in several research areas: neurology, genetics, psychology, pediatrics, social science, psychoeducation. We continue to rely on scientific evidence and advanced research that validates our innovative approach to integrated social medicine.
Our commitment to better serve the most vulnerable children is validated by studies that guide us on the concrete actions that can improve executive functions and social skills of the youth. Our innovative clinical approaches involving anxiety and insecure type attachments are closely followed by academic institutions that validate and advise us in the development and consolidation of such innovative practices. We now have solid knowledge that allow us to know how to better intervene with our most vulnerable children. The strength of the evidence. Thus, each of our activities are developed according to the needs of children, of their rights and the literature; everything we do helps cure and see evolve suffering children; everything we do leads to special meetings with parents involved and competent. Our partners health networks, social services, education, youth protection are valuable allies clinics that allow us to do otherwise, egalitarian and integrated manner.
I am a privileged witness of the results of this other way of treating children. The clinical strength.
The generous support of the Fondation du Dr Julien is precious. Training, support for the structuring, advice etc. The Foundation allows us to grow into a strong movement. Exchanges with other teams from across Quebec enrich us and enable us to bring this practice further, for the benefit of our children.
The process of accreditation of the Movement of Social pediatric community is essential to ensure quality care. Our Centre is actively involved in order to perpetuate social pediatrics in Quebec community.
Each year we updated an important part of social pediatric community, the part of Droit Santé Alliance. The health problems of our most vulnerable children are too often the symptom of violated rights. I am indebted to lawyers who agree to carry with me the rights of children involved in various ways: advice, mediation, representation, litigation, etc.
In Gatineau, we also betting that children can become experts of the Convention on children's rights and to promote it. Thus was born the Child Rights Committee of the Social Pediatric Center of Gatineau. Inspired by Me Helene Sioui Trudel, this is the only human rights committee implanted for child in the movement of social pediatrics in Quebec. I am deeply impressed by the journey of this group of children. Quickly, they managed to translate their rights into concrete action that they presente in a memory, to decisions makers in the community. They become a motivating force in our neighborhood. I am proud and very moved by them! I bring the voice of these children with great humility. Now they have a great voice!
I am without words to express my gratitude to a clinical team that agrees to attach to children and parents, not counting his hours and meeting the challenges with such creativity. Our volunteers are members of this wonderful family surrounding her children. Talent, tact, positive presence, pleasure, etc.
I thank them!
Our links with the medical education institutions are tightening. Internships for our residents Family Medicine Unit of the CSSS de Gatineau are re-evaluation to improve our services, in first and second year of residency. Links are drawn with the medical faculty of the University of Ottawa so we will bear an interest group in social pediatric community within this property. Establish relationships with the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario to promote social pediatric community as an innovative way to treat children. We continue to offer summer internships for medical students throughout Quebec in collaboration with the Agency for Health and Social Services Ottawa.
The next year will be as fertile, I'm sure. Our clinical team will be enriched by the arrival of new psychosocial interveners and new doctors. This will allow us to provide more services to a greater number of children.
We are determined to deploy services in another sector of Gatineau. So we have already started planting roots in this area in order to build with the community ... our next home.
All this is possible, thanks to the diligence and skill of an exceptional branch that gives us the means of our ambitions.
I am definitely a very lucky physician to actively participate in such an innovative movement, inspiring and effective.
Dr. Anne Marie Bureau
Physician and Clinical Director
Social Pediatrics Center of Gatineau